I've just purchased a new Western Digital My Book World Edition 0.5 TB (500 GB), this piece of HD has 1GB Ethernet connection, it's capacity can be extended by a USB port.
The access to the remote HD is easy using NFS, few minutes later "The Hacking WD MyBook World Ed" website, these guys did a very nice job and documented all instructions required for hacking the MyBook World.
The MyBook World runs a Linux based Operating System (Daaa) on 2.6.x kernel, it has various capabilities and services which aren't enabled by WD.
It all start from enabling SSH on the device, and after that, the sky is the limit :)
- Small (172x144x56mm) , nice design
- Low power
- Sophisticated system (It's Linux god damn it)
- 1 GB Ethernet Controller, 500GB capacity (there is also 1TB version, twice price)
- It's 24/7 powered on
- HD is expendable by USB port
- Price: 588 NIS
- Speed: using scp 3.2Mb/s for read, 2.4Mb/s for write (I expected more than that)
So.. Let's install torrent downloader on it!
This hack installs torrent downloader called transmission on the MyBook world system with WEB interface, then you can upload torrent files to your MyBook World :)
It's pretty easy and recommended, the MyBook World will download as long as there is Internet connection, and all downloaded files are installed directly on its storage, you can follow up the download/upload process anytime from any internet browser from your LAN, I even check the status from safari from my iPhone :) exactly what I need.
Below a snapshot of the torrent downloader web interface:
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Thursday, December 04, 2008
I have suggested a way to spoof your MAC address on iPhone.
Here is a simpler way that makes use of BossPrefs for MAC spoofing.
1. If BossPrefs is not installed, install it via Cydia.
2. Lunch BossPrefs, click config, click add
3. Enter the following info:
Name: Mac Spoof
Start: ifconfig en0 ether FAKE_MAC (For example: ifconfig en0 ether 00:14:dd:11:02:79)
Stop: ifconfig en0 ether ORIG_MAC
Process: leave empty
Icon: leave empty
4. Click save
We're done :)
Each time you want to spoof your MAC, do it easily via BossPrefs.
- MAC address for example: 00:14:dd:11:02:79
- ORIG_MAC = Your original mac address; from iPhone: go to settings, General, WiFi Address
- FAKE_MAC = Your fake mac address; from Windows: start, type cmd, type ipconfig -all, and examine the output for your wireless network connection MAC address
- This was tested on FW 2.2, it should work on all versions where BossPrefs is installed
- Sometimes, after you turn it "on", and then want to it turn "off", you'll find that it's already in "off" state, In this case turn it "on" then "off" again. Thanks for Anonymous for pointing this out :)